Unlocking the bootloader of your HTC One M8 Smartphone opens up opportunities for you to root & install custom ROMs and Recoveries on your device. The procedure is not as tough as it seems. But before you start with the unlocking process, you must understand the risk and loss your device might experience during the process. So ensure that you have properly read and understood the key factors behind the unlocking process.
Unlocking the Bootloader might void the warranty of your Smartphone and you shall loose all important data. So back up your device data properly before initiating the process. BlogZamana will not remain responsible for the loss of warranty, brick or any bugs that your device might acknowledge during the course.
Also remember that the tutorial is exclusively meant for the Sony HTC One M8 Smartphone and using it in other devices might create serious concerns for you. After the unlocking of your device, it will also continue receiving updates and you are not recommended to install these updates since it might brick your device. So keep the fact in mind.
- One HTC One M8Smartphone
- Original Data Cable
- One PC preloaded with HTC drivers. Else download and install the drivers on your PC from HTC’s official site first.
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode. You will find the option in the Developer Section of your device.
- At least 60% to 70% battery back up in your HTC One M8 Smartphone to avoid any awkward situation during installation.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader in HTC One M8
- First of all extract the downloaded folder on your desktop.
- Visit the HTCDev website and create an HTC account there. Now verify your email address.
- After log into the newly created HTC Dev account & click the Unlock Bootloader button. Click on ‘Get Started’ then. The bootloader unlocking process will start now.
- Make sure that your Smartphone is not connected to your PC. Now take your device to Fastboot Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons at a time.
- Release the buttons after the LOCKED text appears on the screen of your Smartphone. Select FASTBOOT & press the Power button to boot your device.
- Now connect your phone to your PC via the USB cable. The FASTBOOT USB text will appear on the screen of your Smartphone.
- Open a command prompt window from the folder created on step 1 on your desktop
- Do this by pressing and holding Shift & Right-clicking on an empty folder space and selecting ‘open command window here’ from the right-click context menu.
- Enter the command fastboot oem get_identifier_token in the command prompt
- A text will appear between the “Identifier Token Start” and “Identifier Token End”. Copy the text from there.
- Now go to the HTCDev website & paste the text in the My Device Identifier Token space.
- Click Submit now.
If you have properly gone through the process, then you will receive an e-mail from HTC Dev containing the ‘Unlock_code.bin’ file.
- Download the thefile and copy it in the Fastboot folder.
- Close the existing Command Prompt window and open a new one like u did before.
- Now enter the command fastboot flash unlocktocken Unlock_Code.bin in the command prompt.
- The smartphone will boot now and show the Unlock Bootloader screen.
- Use the Volume Up button to select YES. Press Power to confirm the process.
- Now your HTC One M8 device will restart and unlock its bootloader.
- Verify that the HTC One M8 device now packs an unlocked bootloader by booting in Fastboot Mode, it should show the ‘UNLOCKED’ text at the top of the screen.
To test if your device bootloader has really been unlocked, boot your device into Fastboot mode and you will see the text ‘UNLOCKED’ at the top of the screen. If found any issues, then don’t hesitate to get back to us.